Looking for some things to do in the evenings while you’re in town for LibTech? Here are a few ideas within shuttle, bus or walking distance from each hotel and the Macalester campus, here are some suggestions! Be sure to check with your hotel for local shuttle/transportation information.
Around the Twin Cities
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts’ Matisse Masterworks Exhibit
The MIA’s Third Thursday event focuses on their current Matisse exhibition — Thursday, March 20 from 6:00pm-9:00pm. Kick back to some live modern jazz music and other fun activities — and, of course, don’t forget the great art! Take part in this FREE event and embrace your inner avant-garde Fauve. Located just over a mile northwest of the Sheraton Midtown – check for hotel shuttle service.
- Science Museum of Minnesota — Ultimate Dinosaurs - Big, bad and in Saint Paul
Forget T. Rex. Meet a whole new breed of beast when you experience Ultimate Dinosaurs! Come face-to-face with 20 new dinosaurs like Carnotaurus, Giganotosaurus and others that roamed the earth millions of years ago and evolved in isolation from their Northern Hemisphere counterparts.
Macalester College Neighborhood (Snelling and Grand Avenues, St. Paul
- Grand Avenue provides a variety of shopping and eating options. Check out the Grand Avenue Business Association web site for links to merchants and restaurants: http://www.grandave.com
Close to Macalester (within 1 or 2 blocks) these shops are worth exploring:
- Avalon: http://www.avalonongrand.com
- Wet Paint: http://www.wetpaintart.com
- Common Good Books (Garrison Keillor, proprietor): http://www.commongoodbooks.com
- An extensive list of restaurants & coffee shops in the Mac neighborhood:
The Grand Avenue bus line (#63) runs the full length of the avenue: http://metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx?route=63
Near the Sheraton Midtown
- The Sheraton is closest (walking distance) to the Midtown Global Market, a bustling place filled with merchants selling food, clothing, jewelry and other items from countries around the world.
- Midtown Global Market http://www.midtownglobalmarket.org
- If you feel like venturing farther afield (perhaps 1-1/2 miles west on Lake Street) you’ll find the Bryant Lake Bowl, a well-known Minneapolis hot spot: http://bryantlakebowl.com
- And the famous Matt’s Bar for Juicy Lucy burgers: http://www.mattsbar.com/Check with the hotel for local shuttle/transportation information or additional local destinations.
Near Radisson Roseville
- Rosedale Shopping Center
Just northwest of the Radisson is the Rosedale Shopping Center with opportunities to shop, eat, or see a movie.
- AMC Theatres
Just south of the hotel a few blocks near Hwy 36 and Fairview Avenues, you’ll find several restaurants to suit your tastes. Among them are: Good Earth Restaurant, La Casita (Mexican restaurant)